- 1 lb sustainibeef carne asada
- 3 tbsp canola oil or other cooking oil
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onion (about one 14-oz large onion or two medium)
- 1 3/4 tsp coarse salt divided use
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 packets of your favorite taco seasoning
- Taco shells
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1 tsp salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is golden and very soft, 7-10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook, stirring constantly until softened, about a minute, then stir taco seasoning until fragrant, about a minute more.
- Add carne asada and sprinkle with remaining 3/4 tsp salt plus the sugar. Use a spoon or sturdy spatula to break the beef into small chunks and to stir it well with the onion mixture to combine. Cook until beef renders its fat and browns, about 10 minutes.
- Serve carne asada with warmed taco shells, shredded lettuce and cheese, sour cream, and any other desired toppings. Enjoy!